Thursday 4 December 2014

I AM AN INTROVERT....



There I said it okay?! A big stinking, introvert. Whilst being at the wildest, craziest party with friends, I count down the minutes till I'm sitting in my room, alone, watching LOTR, fantasizing about my elvish existence. While I understand people have a very different idea of "fun", this is in fact, what makes me happy. Alone time. Time to recharge and read and daydream and nap and listen to music and look at squished faced cats on instagram*. Alone. It is complexing to me, however, that people in what I see as a fairly progressive world, where people are allowed to express themselves as they wish, are sometimes forced to or made to feel guilty about their introverted ways by the extroverts in life. Simply, perhaps, because they cannot understand the pleasures of being alone.

And, I understand, that my friends only mean the best when they beg me to join them on a night out. YOLO right?! No. My YOLO is a quiet night in reading about gender theory, drinking peppermint tea. But if I can understand that you enjoy something I don’t, shouldn’t it work the same way round? “Fucking unbelievable” was the response I had off a friend a few weeks ago when I said was wasn’t joining them on a night out, which you can understanding was incredibly insulting, that my form of happiness is not justifiable in their eyes. Can’t I and my fellow introverted brethren be allowed to be left in peace? It isn’t rudeness. I doesn’t mean I do not like you. IT IS NOT AN ILLNESS.



 Extroverts may seem that their fun is ‘funer’ but maybe only because theirs is a louder, more extravagant form of fun. Our fun is a much more calming, soothing type of fun, spent with a small collection of close friends. One day I hope to feel comfortable to say “No, I won’t be attending that huge techno, paint, foam party at the underground bunker. Hope you have fun though” and not be left feeling guilty. 

Thanks for listening for my oh so long winded rant, living in a house with 4 extroverts can sometimes be incredibly stressful. This made me slightly more chilled. 
*have some these two as prime example and to cheer this post up a little 

No comments:

Post a Comment