Wednesday 24 December 2014

Book Haul / Merry Christmas PART 1



So I constantly have a list of books that are in the pipeline of my future reading adventures, books that if only I had the time and money for, or perhaps will ask for for an upcoming gift giving opportunity... perhaps, oh I don't know, CHRISTMAS!!

Yes it's that time of year again and these are the books I've read to see me through those dark, lonely, nights waiting for Santa Claus to get up off his keister and pay his favourite girl a visit (me, I'm his favourite).

READ 

1) THE HOBBIT

"Oh my gawddd!! Like she's totally just jumped on the bangwagon. She's only reading it cause the film is out. She's not a real fannn!!1!!111"

Stop that. It's annoying. 

If a film makes you want to read a book that's not a bad thing everyone. Calm down. But in my case I am the biggest, oh my gawd Legolas and Aragorn should kiss, how could Sam marry that hobbit hussy over Frodo, fan you'll find outside the asylum. And when Christmas rolls around I can't think of a nicer, sweeter, 'read in front of the fire' story to read, and such, has become a bit of a seasonal tradition for me. A story about friendship and adventure, 12 dwarves trying desperately to regain their home, one hobbit trying to get back to his hobbit hole home (whats more Christmasy than home and home comforts huh?). With an almost childlike approach to the narration, Tolkien's Hobbit, is a much softer, less mythologically intense, than the older brother's in the LOTR trilogy, makes the reading pure pleasure. Plus I'm a hell of a lucky girl who has an Alan Lee illustration edition.



 "DAUUUMMM BRO!! Look at that Shire!!"
Quote- Barack Obama 

2) SENSE AND SENSEIBILITY

I don't know about you, but at this time of the year where you're desperately trying to jam in family obligations and and an immense amount of food, you want a book that's easy. Where not an awful lot happens. The plot and narrative are simple and enjoyable to follow. In my opinion Mrs Jane Austin is the supreme of this particular genre of '... meh, that was nice'. Pride and Prejudice is probably the best example for this idea of literacy comfort, I mean what really happens? A mother wants to marry her daughters off, a woman disagrees with a man, they fall in love after-all, even though we all know they would in the first place. Sense and Senseibility follows this same premise, daughters need to be married off. The only question is which of the eligible young men in the neighborhood should they choose? It's heartwarming and truly lovely to have a plot so familiar and comforting.


What have you been reading over Christmas? Anything you feel is your go-to Christmas story? 


*jingle jingle* ... Hey what was that?! SANTA?!?!!! 

Oh wait it was my laptops low battery notification, never mind :( that's perhaps a hint that it's time to say goodnight and wish everyone a very Merry Christmas 





No comments:

Post a Comment