Sunday 28 December 2014

Book Haul / Merry Christmas Part 2



 I have this boyfriend and sometimes if I kiss him real good and pat his head real nice he’ll do nice things such as go book shopping with me and sometimes independent second hand book searching for me if I’m particularly poor (what can I say, he’s a keeper).

But this isn’t an “I’ve got a boyfriend” boast post… oh no, it’s a “look at the beautiful books I’ve just acquired” boast post. So the other day I went to an old stately home, Attingham Park which is quite possibly a Jane Austin/ Downton Abbey     fandom paradise with lovely lovely old people willing to help and give talks and wish you a Merry Christmas at every turn. Also, because it was Christmas, there was ceiling high Christmas Trees in every room and frost covered grounds which were rampant with deer, which, if you use your imagination could totally be reindeer.




And to top it off the stables had been converted into a second hand book shop
Therefore, books were purchased and go as follows:



Stephen King – Carrie
I’ve wanted to read King for a while but had no idea where to start, so many google searches such as “which King book to read first” or “which King book voted best” were made but many of the posts suggested “the Dark Tower” series as the best of King. This might be the case but I doubt it’s a first time, light reading recommendation. So when I saw Carrie I thought that might be the a good place to find my footing. I’m a whole 26 pages in at the moment (I know, impressive *hair swish*) and have only good things to say. Do I really have time to become obsessed by another author? No, but I don’t think that’ll stop me.

Angela Carter – Angela Carter’s Book of Fairy Tales

I’ve read Carter before and I LOVE the way she takes well known stories, adds a few ‘f’ words, a feminist aganda and somehow manages to change your entire perceptive of the tale and storytelling. She’s magical and one of the most talented writers of the 20th century and I devour everything she put her clever little biro to. So when I saw this I nearly hit the floor and cried. Fairy Tales. Hard Back. Gorgeous Illustrations. A beloved author. Sale in Waterstones. The stars aligned and this angelic beauty became mine. The book is constructed of short folktales that take no longer than 15 minutes to read one which makes the reading light and extremely thought provoking. The tales have individual motives of intent on the reader; you’re meant to learn something. The select few I’ve read are also EXTREMELY dark (perhaps worrying if this was picked up as a last minute Christmas present for a niece/nephew and wasn’t properly examined) so aren’t for the light and frothy teen book reader out there.

J.R.R. Tolkien – The Silmarillion
I fucking love Lord of the Ring. I love it. I love the maps, I love the adventure, I love the race of beings and I love the mythology. I drink it up like nerd nectar. 

Shortly after watching this youtube video I became obsessed with trekking through the various lotr wiki pages to learn as much about the mythology and first age of middle earth and all the rest of it I could find. I have basically no idea what The Silmarillion is really about, from the blurb it sounds more like a narrative story more than an explanation of mythology but hey ho I’m up for anything. I’ve also been told that it is extremely complicated so have decided I’ll read it when I can dedicate an entire week to it. If this means I don’t get to read it till the summer so be it. 6 months is a mere blink in the life of an elf. I’m patient. I can wait*.  

David Eddings – Castle of Wizardry
So if you didn’t know David Eddings is one of the best fantasy authors out there (obviously excluding Mr T ((not from the A team I meant Tolkien)) ), and if you enjoy that genre I recommend whole-heartedly The Belgariad series. My boyfriend’s mum swears by them and I decided to give them a go after seeing the cool maps in the front and my weakness to peer pressure. I’m two books into the series but I try and stock up on them in second hand book shops because they’re not so easily attained, so I have them all now except the elusive fifth. It follows the story of a young lad called Garion who discovers that his simple life is actually anything but, his aunt is actually a highly powerful sorceress and the old tramp is one of the most important wizards in the world… and his grandfather. Don’tcha hate it when that happens. Garion along with his aunt and grandfather and a rag tag team of misfits *oh cliché* are attempting to bring down the evil god Torak before he regains his power by attaining the Orb. Sounds good, huh?
So what about you? Did you receive any good reads for Christmas?   Of course you did I’m sure you were spoilt rotten! ;)
Lots of Love,
Rhian
Xoxo

*REFERENCEEEE!!!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment